Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Freezer Tamale Pies

I'd never had tamale pies before, but when I came across this recipe on Martha Stewart's website, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's pretty easy, and makes a lot of food for not a lot of cash. When I made it I got three 8x8 pans! One for that night, two for the freezer! Could it get better than that?? Maybe, but not by much. Here's my take on Martha's recipe. Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:

Filling:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
4 cups frozen corn
coarse salt and pepper
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Cornmeal crust:
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make filling: heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet, over medium-high heat. Brown ground beef and transfer to a bowl. Reduce heat to medium. Add one more tablespoon of oil if needed (I didn't need it, I just used what was in the pan after browning the meat). Add onion, pepper, and cumin, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes; season with two teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Return beef to pan, add black beans, corn, and crushed tomatoes, stir until combined. Set aside and make crust: Whisk cornmeal with 1 1/2 cups of cold water. In a medium sauce pan, bring 2 1/2 cups water, salt, and pepper to boil. Gradually add cornmeal mixture to the sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until very thick, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Divide cornmeal evenly between three 8x8 pans (or equivalent baking dish(es)), smooth with spatula and let cool for 5 minutes. Divide filling evenly between the pans and top each with shredded cheese*. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

*If freezing: Allow to cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap and foil; freeze up to three months. To bake from frozen; defrost in refrigerator overnight, then remove plastic wrap and foil, bake uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes at 375 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.