Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Falafel

Sorry for not posting yesterday! I've been busy this week so no book review, but hopefully Chocolatelover won't mind me posting a recipe on her day:)

I love Falafel. But I never knew how to make it, or that you could. It was just a mix that came out of a box or something you get at a restaurant. I try really hard not to buy prepackaged foods and we hardly ever eat out. So, when I came across this recipe, I was super excited to try it out. It was SO great! And really easy. Love it! Here is my version.

Serves 8

Ingredients:

Falafel:
    • 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    • 2 onion, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons dried parsley (or 1 cup fresh, I would have used that if I'd had it in the house)
    • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 dashes pepper
    • 2 pinches white pepper
    • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 cup dry bread crumbs

    • Cucumber Sauce:
    • 2 (6 ounce) containers plain yogurt
    • 1 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
    • 2 teaspoons fresh dill weed, roughly chopped
    • salt and white pepper to taste
    • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

    • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put chickpeas into a ziploc and mash with hands/rolling pin until thick and pasty consistency and dump into a large bowl - using a blender will make it too thin. In a food processor, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into mashed chickpeas. In a small bowl combine eggs, cumin, teaspoon parsley, salt, pepper, white pepper, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir into chickpea mixture along with olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together - I probably used 3/4 cup. Form 8 balls, place them on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and then flatten into patties. Brush both sides of each patty with a little olive oil. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, then flip once and bake for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, white pepper and mayonnaise. To serve, spread some sauce in a pita pocket then stuff pita with falafel and a slice of tomato. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.