Tuesday, February 22, 2011
May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers and Illustrated by Beni Montresor
May I Bring a Friend? is another of my childhood favorites. So I thought I'd share. I don't think it's extremely well known, which is a shame really. It is the winner of the 1965 Caldecott Award, and it's easy to see why. It's about a little boy whom the King and Queen consider a friend and invite him to dine with them each day of the week. Each time the little boy asks if he can bring a friend with him. The King and Queen agree each time and then we see who the boy brings with him - it is always an animal, or several! The ending has a little twist, which children will find delightful, I'm sure. It's written in rhymes which adds to the charm of the story. The illustrations are done in ink, some are black and white, others have been colored in, others are the black and white illustrations printed on colored paper. Teaching the days of the week, and manners, this is a sweet little book that I know your little ones will enjoy. Its of course rated a G, and 5 out of 5. I love it.
Labels:
book review,
children
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.