Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Synopsis: C.S. Lewis' thoughts on love. He divides love into four categories, defines them and discusses how they build on and interact with each other.

Opinion: I found The Four Loves thought provoking, but in the end I have to give this a 1. Go ahead and pick yourself up off the floor, and I'll tell you why. There are three reasons why I didn't like this book. First, I found his logic to be flawed and highly cynical in many areas. I think this is in part due to his own experience, but also due to the era in which he lived. He showed over and over again how he didn't really respect women, and it was clear this was because of the popular thinking at the time. Second, I disagreed with some key points of doctrine upon which he made conclusions. Third, I found him to be unnecessarily wordy, which in many instances detracted from the points he was trying to make. Now, this aside, I truly did find this book to be very insightful in areas and it really made me think. But I really had a hard time getting through it because I found some of his opinions very distasteful. No one was more surprised by that then me. I started this book with great anticipation and was pretty disappointed, if I'm being honest.

I'm giving this a PG13 rating. It has a whole chapter on Eros, it isn't explicit but it's adult. It's also a very high level of reading, I'd say its college level material. And as I stated earlier, I'm giving it a 1 out of 5, I didn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.